Chemicals of Concern
In 2017, 219 million metric tons of chemicals deemed “hazardous to health” were produced in the EU alone. These Chemicals of High Concern (CoHCs), include BPAs, phthalates, styrene… Unfortunately, the list goes on and on. Estimates show that almost 90% of chemicals listed on California’s Proposition 65—one of the most comprehensive lists of chemicals that are potentially hazardous to human health and the environment—have been used in the petroleum-based plastics industry.
Sounds pretty serious. And it is. We’re the first people that want to keep things light-hearted, but this topic deserves a bit more precision, and we’re not satisfied using general terms about hazardous materials without explaining exactly what we mean.
So, here are the details we provide with all our products and our commitment to you:
good natured® products and packaging are in compliance with food safety and environmental health regulations throughout their life cycles – from design, development and selection of material formulations through manufacturing, packaging, product end use and disposal.
Every single chemical constituent in our material formulations undergoes a rigorous safety assessment in accordance to California’s Proposition 65 and only when confirmed as safe per these regulations is an ingredient used in our products. In addition, our manufacturing processes undergo technical review by process safety experts.
All good natured® branded products are compliant with the following regulatory requirements:
FDA Compliance – all resins, additives, colorants, coatings and other ingredients used to manufacture good natured® products have been approved for food grade applications under FDA Regulations 21CFR
• 21CFR 184.1061 Lactic acid
• 21CFR 177.2420 Polyester resins, crosslinked
• 21CFR 175.300 Resinous and polymeric coatings
• 21CFR 178.3570 Lubricants with incidental food contact
• 21CFR 176.170 Components of paper and paperboard in contact with aqueous and fatty food
• 21CFR 178.3400 Emulsifiers and/or surface active agents
• 21CFR 181.28 Release agents
• 21CFR 178.3297 Colorants for polymers
Bisphenol A (BPA) – all materials and products formulated and/or manufactured by good natured® are Bisphenol A free
Phthalates – good natured® does not utilize any phthalates (DEPH, DINH, DOP, etc.) during our manufacturing process nor are these chemicals present in our material
Latex – good natured® does not use natural rubber latex in the manufacturing of our products, nor is it intentionally added into any of our products
Proposition 65 – good natured® products are in compliance with California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (Proposition 65)
REACH(EC 1907/2007) – good natured® products do not contain any of the substances of high concerns listed by European Chemical Agency’s (ECHA) Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulation
RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances;2011/65/EU) – the following chemicals are not intentionally introduced into any of our products:
• Hexavalent Chromium
• Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB)
• Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE)
• BIS (2-Ethylhexyl) Phthalate (DEHP)
• Butyl Benzyl Phthalate (BBP)
• Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)
• Diisobutyl Phthalate (DIBP)
Ozone Depleting Chemicals – good natured® products do not contain, and are manufactured without, ozone depleting chemicals listed under the Clean Air Act (CFCs & HCFCs)
Reduction of Toxics in Packaging (TPCH); formerly CONEG– all packaging and packaging components sold by good natured® comply with the requirements of the toxins in packaging law(s). Specifically:
• We certify that the regulated metals –lead, mercury, cadmium, and hexavalent chromium– are not intentionally added to any package or packaging component during the manufacturing process
• We further certify that the sum of the incidental concentration levels of lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium present in any package or package component does not exceed 100 parts per million by weight
Gluten – good natured® does not intentionally introduce gluten into any of our material formulations.
Allergens – good natured® does not intentionally introduce other allergens such as nuts or wheat into any of our products.Since our inception, commitment to the principles of Green Chemistry and environment health and safety have been core values of good natured®, We refer to the most updated versions of these regulations and lists while developing and formulating any new products to ensure ongoing compliance.